Art Evolved: Intertwined
(Shown above: Artwork by Jean Koon)
The National Basketry Organization is excited to announce a special project with the Studio Art Quilt Associates. NBO is collaborating with SAQA on a traveling exhibition Art Evolved: Intertwined. The exhibition will travel around the country for three years.
Contemporary artists working within the fields of Basketry and Quilting work across a broad continuum where concept and function blend and diverge. Diverse materials such as thread, fabric, wood, reed, paper, and mixed media are used with skill, imagination, and vision to create compelling art that resonates in today’s world. Artists are invited to participate in this conversation between media that illustrates these varied approaches along this continuum between concept and functionality, two-dimensional and 3-dimensional. This is a joint exhibition with the Studio Art Quilt Associates.
Yellowstone Art Museum, Billings Montana: June 30 – October 22, 2023
Pacific Northwest Quilt & Fiber Art Museum, La Conner Washington: December 1, 2023 – February 28, 2024
Fuller Craft Museum, February – August 2025, Brockton Massachusetts: Exact Dates TBD
Additional Venues will be added.
July 1, 2022: Online Entry Opens
July 31, 2022: Online Entry Deadline
October 15, 2022: Notification of Acceptance by email
June 30, 2023: Exhibition Opens at the Yellowstone Art Museum
December 31, 2026: End of Exhibition (work will be returned by February 28, 2027
Wall-hung (2D & 3D), freestanding, and ceiling suspended artwork are eligible.
- Pieces may not exceed 96” (8 ft or 243 cm) in height, width, or depth.
- All artwork must fit through a standard 34” doorway. Ceiling suspended pieces cannot exceed 20 lbs.
You must be a current National Basketry Organization member to enter this exhibition.
Fee: $50 USD for up to 3 entries. $40 ($10 Early Bird) if all entries submitted by July 15, 2022.
- PLEASE NOTE: Members of both organizations can enter through both organization’s platforms. However, the jurors will only choose one of your artworks. You would need to make 2 separate entries (one for NBO, one for SAQA).
- Out of respect for the traditions of indigenous makers, please do not submit copies of indigenous work if you are a non-indigenous maker.
- Out of respect for artist teachers, please do not submit products of group workshops.
- Works exhibited in previous NBO juried exhibitions will not be accepted.