The National Basketry Organization is an inclusive community
of makers and enthusiasts whose mission is to promote
awareness, inspire creativity, and foster
appreciation for the heritage and artistry of basketry.
The National Basketry Organization is an inclusive community of makers and enthusiasts whose purpose is to promote awareness, inspire creativity and foster appreciation for the heritage and artistry of basketry. Founded in 1999 and incorporated as a non-profit in 2000, NBO has nearly 700 members reflecting the diversity of basket-making in America and extending beyond our borders.
As a non-profit organization, NBO promotes fellowship, provides education and increases awareness of the breadth of basketry. Included among NBOs members are basket-makers, educators, collectors, gallery owners, students, scholars, curators, craft and art schools as well as museums. The NBO community encompasses a continuum of makers, from those who celebrate basketry’s traditional roots to those stretching the boundaries of materials and processes in contemporary applications.
NBO strives to achieve our vision through providing:
- Educational opportunities to study basketry past and present
- Basketry+, the premier publication in the field of basketry
- Over/Under, our on-line periodical
- Exhibitions such as our biennial juried show, traveling shows, and an in-print showcase of member’s work
- Inspiring and enriching biennial conferences not to be missed
- Support through scholarships and awards
- Ways for people to connect, network, and form a community (see icon bar below)
National Basketry Organization, Inc.
PO Box 1524
Gloucester, MA 01931-1524
Telephone: 617.863.0366 (Leave a message and someone will get back to you)
Email: Information NBO
Submit events and notices for the website calendar at: NBO Calendar