North House Folk School Basket Week
Date(s) - August 28, 2018 - September 1, 2018
North House Folk School
500 W Hwy 61
Our first ever thematic weekend celebrating basketry. The week features 14 basket themed courses that utilize natural materials like birch bark, willow, cedar and black ash.
Guest instructors Judy Zugish and Karen Tembreull join the North House faculty to offer new courses that introduce intermediate skills.
We will also offer a course on making tools commonly used in basket making such as fids, splitters and knockers. On Friday, September 1, the entire day will be devoted to demonstrations, talks, a basket market place and of course, a wood-fired pizza bake. All students who register for coursework during the week are invited to participate in the conference day for no additional tuition.
Courses being offered:
- Between Twill Twine Pouch with Karen Tembreull
- Black Ash Basketry Tutorial with April Stone
- Cattail Weaving: The Northern Fedora with Tina Fung Holder FULL
- Cedar Bark Hats with Judy Zugish
- Crafting the Traditional Stake and Strand Willow Basket with Lindsay Lee & Lee Zieke FULL
- Birch Bark Basket Necklace with Cathryn Peters
- Birch Bark Lidded Baskets with John Zasada & Jackson Sneve
- Double Antler Tapestry Tray with Cathryn Peters
- Coracle Boat: Build Your Own with Lindsay Lee
- Hex Weave Basket with April Stone
- Strippers, Splitters, Knockers, and Froes: Tools for Basket Making with Paul Linden
- Sweet Grass Basketry with Paula Sundet Wolf
- Woven Walking Sticks with Judy Zugish
- Making Wooden Rims and Handles for Baskets with Dennis Chilcote
Information at North House Folk School